Community Talk
CommuTalk seeks to address the problem of inadequate access to information for the citizens of Zimbabwe and lack of informed decision making.
The goal is to contribute to a democratic, well informed society.
12/08/2026
Nick Mangwana has broken his silence following the Mbuya Nehanda ferry disaster on Lake Kariba.
The ferry capsized after encountering strong waves while travelling towards fishing camps. Rescue and recovery operations remain underway as authorities search for survivors and recover bodies.
10/08/2026
Two inmates, including a convicted murderer serving life and a robber serving 27 years, have escaped from Mutimurefu Prison.
Tafadzwa Janyure Zimirenyika(27) and James Masunda(34) escaped around 12:10am on Saturday as they were due to be transferred to Khami Prison.
Police say a guard spotted an inmate scaling the perimeter fence, but his firearm reportedly jammed when he tried to c**k it.
Investigators later discovered a prison door had been cut open.
Police have deployed sniffer dogs and drones and are also investigating a robbery at a nearby tuckshop, which the two escapees are allegedly linked to.
The search for the fugitives continues.
10/08/2026
LIMPOPO BOY AT CENTRE OF NEWLYWED MARRIAGE CONTROVERSY
Barely a year after Kevin Shai reportedly paid R85,000 and 10 cows in lobola, his marriage to Matshidiso Matilda is facing allegations of a secret romance involving artist Limpopo Boy.
08/08/2026
KELSEA’S DOUBLE IDENTITY EXPOSED IN DRUG CASE, COURT HEARS
Staff Writer
Socialite Kelsea Tafirenyika’s legal troubles have taken another turn after a Harare court heard that she allegedly used a fake national identity card to conduct undisclosed business.
Tafirenyika, who is already facing charges of unlawful possession of drugs, allegedly used an identity card in the name of Getrude Badza bearing her photograph.
Investigators told the court that the alleged identity could not be traced in official Civil Registry records.
Testifying before magistrate Marehwanazvo Gofa, investigating officer Nivered Charuma said police discovered the alleged fake identity during investigations.
“We recovered a Zimbabwean passport in the name of the accused person, and inside it was a Zimbabwean ID in the name of Getrude Badza, bearing the same photograph as the one on the passport,” Charuma told the court.
Police also recovered another ID in Tafirenyika’s name, which was confirmed to be genuine.
According to Charuma, Tafirenyika told investigators that she was using the Getrude Badza ID for business, but allegedly did not disclose what type of business she was conducting.
The two IDs were referred to the Civil Registry Department, which reportedly confirmed that Tafirenyika’s ID was authentic, while there was no record of the Getrude Badza identity in its database.
Tafirenyika is jointly charged with her maternal uncle, Isaac Arab Jessub, who is also accused of being involved in the alleged drug dealings.
The State opposed bail, arguing that Tafirenyika could be a flight risk because of her travel history and external links.
The court also heard that the drugs allegedly recovered from her home are not commonly found in Zimbabwe.
During the search of her Greystone Park residence, detectives allegedly found several ampoules of pethidine and morphine. A further search reportedly uncovered dozens more ampoules hidden in bedroom drawers.
Police also allegedly recovered five cobs of cannabis from her white Lamborghini.
The State further alleged that Jessub was found sorting dangerous drugs into two khaki envelopes.
Defence lawyer Malven Mapako challenged the State’s allegations during cross-examination, but Charuma denied claims that the accused were being targeted by detractors.
The court was also told that the State had tendered both identity cards as exhibits.
Tafirenyika and Jessub are expected back in court on August 12, when a ruling on their bail application is expected.
06/08/2026
MABIZA: COURT CHALLENGES DO NOT REFLECT PUBLIC REJECTION OF CAA3
STAFF REPORTER
Attorney-General Virginia Mabiza has defended Constitutional Amendment Act No. 3 (CAA3), saying the legal challenges before the courts do not amount to widespread public opposition.
Mabiza said the perception that Zimbabweans were overwhelmingly rejecting the amendment had been created by a small number of recurring litigants.
She maintained that the volume of court applications was relatively small and should not be mistaken for a national backlash.
"Claims suggesting widespread opposition to Constitutional Amendment Act No. 3 of 2026, popularly referred to as CAA3, are misleading and do not reflect the correct position on the ground," she said.
Mabiza made the remarks while opposing an application by six former freedom fighters seeking to have the amendment declared unconstitutional.
In court papers, she argued that the applicants had failed to specify which sections of the amendment they were challenging and had not shown how their constitutional rights had been infringed.
She further argued that CAA3 does not violate political rights and that President Emmerson Mnangagwa was improperly cited as a respondent because the application sought no relief against him.
06/08/2026
A Zimbabwean national, Moven Kajese, has been sentenced to 16 years in prison after pleading guilty to the attempted murder of his former partner.
Prosecutors said the victim called emergency services during the attack, while responding officers forced entry into the property and found Kajese continuing the assault. The court also imposed an indefinite restraining order to protect the victim.
05/08/2026
SHOKO FESTIVAL UNVEILS NIGEL THA SLICK PASTOR AS HEADLINER FOR 2026 COMEDY NIGHT
Staff Reporter
Zimbabwe’s longest-running urban culture festival, Shoko Festival, has announced its star-studded lineup for this year’s Shoko Comedy Night, with top stand-up comedian Nigel Maritinyu, popularly known as Nigel Tha Slick Pastor, set to headline the event on 24 September 2026 at Harare Gardens.
The announcement, made Wednesday in Harare, confirms that the comedy night—one of the festival’s most anticipated fixtures—will return for its 16th edition under this year’s theme, Unmuted, which celebrates artistic creativity and free expression.
Nigel Tha Slick Pastor, who has built a reputation both locally and internationally with sold-out shows, will take the stage in what will be his first live performance in Harare this year. The show comes hot on the heels of his comedy tour in the United Kingdom, making it a highly anticipated homecoming for the comedian.
“I am so excited to be this year’s headliner at Shoko, such a big festival and prestigious stage. This will also be my first time performing live in Harare this year so all my fans can look forward to a very special experience and memorable night,” Nigel said in a statement. “There is absolutely no reason to miss out on this, I urge everyone to come through and have a good time.”
Joining the headliner is rising comedy star Glad Syre Chipenzi, known as Chipenzi, who has been steadily cementing his place on the local comedy circuit. Neville Farai Nyoni, who performs as Neville Bird, will also bring his distinctive blend of acoustic guitar and humour to the stage.
The evening will be hosted by actress and comedian Sharon Chideu, known as Magi, who features on Bustop TV and recently appeared on Magamba TV’s satirical weekly show The Week, which tackles politics and climate change.
Festival Co-ordinator Natasha Sipanera said the lineup reflects the festival’s commitment to elevating both established and emerging talent.
“This year’s line-up for the Shoko Comedy Night is a testament to Shoko Festival’s commitment to celebrating local stars and providing a platform to unheralded talent, in tandem with this year’s theme, Unmuted,” Sipanera said.
Shoko Festival, now in its 16th year, is a project of Magamba Network, Africa’s trailblazing creative and digital media organisation. It remains Zimbabwe’s premier platform for alternative youth culture and free expression.
Tickets are priced at US$15 for early bird and US$20 at the gate. They are available online at www.shokofestival.co.zw or at Moto Republik’s offices, located at 3 Allan Wilson Avenue, Harare.
03/08/2026
CLAIMS OF WIDESPREAD OPPOSITION TO CAA3 MISLEADING, SAYS AG MABIZA
STAFF REPORTER
ATTORNEY-General Virginia Mabiza has dismissed claims of widespread opposition to Constitutional Amendment Act No. 3 (CAA3), saying the narrative is being driven by a small group of recurring litigants rather than reflecting the views of the broader public.
Speaking to the media, Mabiza said the legal challenges being cited as evidence of mass resistance were limited in scope and largely repetitive.
"Claims suggesting widespread opposition to Constitutional Amendment Act No. 3 of 2026, popularly referred to as CAA3, are misleading and do not reflect the correct position on the ground," she said.
Mabiza said the Government was not overwhelmed by the court applications filed against the constitutional amendments, adding that the cases did not represent a surge in public opposition.
"The level of public outcry being suggested is far greater than the actual numbers involved. The narrative of extensive opposition is amplified beyond the facts and should not be mistaken for the true scale of engagement with CAA3," she said.
Her remarks come as she urged the Constitutional Court to dismiss an application filed by six former freedom fighters challenging CAA3.
In her court response, Mabiza argued that the applicants failed to identify the specific provisions of the amendment they were challenging or demonstrate how their constitutional rights had been violated.
She said constitutional litigation requires precision and that the application was fatally defective because it did not cite the exact sections being impugned.
Mabiza also rejected claims that CAA3 infringes political rights, saying Zimbabweans have never enjoyed an unrestricted right to elect any individual outside the constitutional and electoral framework.
She further objected to the citation of President Emmerson Mnangagwa as a respondent, arguing that no relief was being sought against him and that his actions in relation to the amendment were an exercise of constitutional executive authority.
01/08/2026
MACHAKAIRE ROLLS OUT US$1 MILLION YOUTH FUND, PLEDGES NATIONWIDE EXPANSION
Community Talk
Government has launched a US$1 million Youth Economic Empowerment Fund in Manicaland Province to finance youth-led businesses, with Youth Empowerment, Development and Vocational Training Minister Tino Machakaire announcing that the programme will be rolled out to every province, district and ward across Zimbabwe.
The fund is aimed at improving access to capital for young entrepreneurs and forms part of Government's broader strategy to promote youth participation in economic development through entrepreneurship.
Speaking at the launch, Machakaire said the initiative reflects Government's commitment to investing in young people and creating opportunities for them to build sustainable businesses.
"This week, I had the honour of officiating at the launch of the Youth Economic Empowerment Fund in Manicaland Province, with Government committing US$1 million to support youth-led businesses.
"This fund is an investment in the potential of our young people and will be administered with transparency, fairness and accountability to ensure deserving entrepreneurs benefit," he said.
He urged beneficiaries to use the funding responsibly by building businesses that create jobs and contribute to national development.
"To all beneficiaries, use this opportunity wisely. Build sustainable businesses, create jobs and contribute to Zimbabwe's economic growth and national development," he said.
Machakaire said the initiative would not end in Manicaland, as Government plans to extend it to every corner of the country.
"We are coming to every province, district and ward. Our focus is on empowering communities at the grassroots, ensuring that every corner of Zimbabwe has an equal opportunity to access the Youth Economic Empowerment Fund.
"Together, we will build inclusive growth by leaving no young person and no community behind," he said.
The fund is part of the ministry's wider youth empowerment programme, which seeks to improve access to finance, promote entrepreneurship and support sustainable livelihoods for young Zimbabweans.
In recent months, Machakaire has intensified youth empowerment initiatives while leading the national campaign against drug and substance abuse. The ministry says the dual approach seeks to create economic opportunities for young people while addressing social challenges that threaten their future.
31/07/2026
🎉 SIMBA BHORA BOSS SIMBA NDORO CELEBRATES HIS BIRTHDAY! ⚽
A leader who lets his work do the talking.
Happy Birthday to Simba Ndoro, the president and owner of former Castle Lager Premier Soccer League champions Simba Bhora FC.
Wishing the football administrator many more years of success, good health and victories on and off the pitch. 🎂🏆
Click here to claim your Sponsored Listing.