Chohan Immigration Practice

Chohan Immigration Practice

I practice US Immigration law in the areas of family, citizenship, immigrant and non immigrant visas. Can counsel in many other areas of immigration also.

For potential clients in the United States or abroad, i provide immigration services and consultations. Contact or email me about any immigration related questions you have if you are already in the US or intend to visit the United States. See my web page at for more information.

Operating as usual

[12/17/20]   Who You Can Help Immigrate
You can petition to bring family members to the United States (often called "sponsoring" them) only if you are a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident (green card holder). Even then, you can bring in only those family members listed on the chart below. Before reading the chart, please click the links explaining what "immediate relative" and "preference relative" mean.

Who Can Sponsor Who

Who You Are

Immigrants You Can Petition

The Immigrant's Category

U.S. citizen age 21 or older


Immediate relative

U.S. citizen

(at least age 18, for financial sponsorship purposes)


Immediate relative

U.S. citizen

(at least age 18, for financial sponsorship purposes)

Minor, unmarried children

Immediate relative

U.S. citizen

Married children or adult children

Preference relative
(1st or 3rd preference)

U.S. citizen age 21 or older

Brothers and sisters

Preference relative (4th preference)

U.S. permanent resident

Unmarried children

Preference relative
(2nd preference -- 2A or 2B)

U.S. permanent resident


Preference relative
(2nd preference)

Notice who is not on this list: grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles, parents-in-law, and other extended family members.

However, if allowed to immigrate to the United States, the people on the above list, except for the immediate relatives, will be permitted to bring their own spouses and children with them. And it is true that once someone has a green card, they can sponsor other people on the list.

[06/29/17]   The I-130 Petition for Alien Relative is the form used by a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident to start the process of sponsoring a relative to come to the U.S. or adjust status within the U.S.

[04/07/17]   So, in summary to get a "Green Card" you would either "adjust status" if in the U.S. or Consular Process if outside the U.S.

[04/07/17]   Second-consular processing is an alternate process for an individual outside the United States (or who is in the United States but is ineligible to adjust status) to obtain a visa abroad and enter the United States as a permanent resident) This pathway is referred to as “consular processing."

[04/07/17]   First-adjustment of status is the process by which an eligible individual already in the United States can get permanent resident status (a green card) without having to return to their home country to complete visa processing.

[04/07/17]   The Immigration and Nationality Act provides an individual two primary paths to permanent resident status.

[02/17/17]   Thanks all for the likes !

[02/08/17]   Naturalization Test

During the naturalization interview, a USCIS Officer will ask questions about an applicant's Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, and background. An applicant will also take an English and civics test unless he or she qualifies for an exemption or waiver. The English test has three components: reading, writing, and speaking. The civics test covers important U.S. history and government topics. See below to learn more about the test and the free study tools available to help your students prepare.

Speaking Test
An applicant's ability to speak English will be determined by a USCIS Officer during the eligibility interview on Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.

Reading Test
An applicant must read aloud one out of three sentences correctly to demonstrate an ability to read in English. The Reading Test Vocabulary List (PDF, 165 KB) will help your students study for the English reading portion of the naturalization test. The content focuses on civics and history topics.

Writing Test
An applicant must write one out of three sentences correctly to demonstrate an ability to write in English. The Writing Test Vocabulary List (PDF, 161 KB) will help your students study for the English writing portion of the naturalization test. The content focuses on civics and history topics.

Civics Test
There are 100 civics questions on the naturalization test (PDF, 295 KB). During an applicant's naturalization interview, he or she will be asked up to 10 questions from the list of 100 questions. An applicant must answer correctly six of the 10 questions to pass the civics test.

Your students have two opportunities to take the English and civics tests per application. If they fail any portion of the test during their first interview, they will be retested on the portion of the test that they failed between 60 and 90 days from the date of their initial interview.

For more information on the naturalization test, please visit:

Study for the Naturalization Test

Naturalization Test Components (PDF, 1.21 MB)

Scoring Guidelines for the U.S. Naturalization Test (PDF, 343 KB)

Applicant Performance on the Naturalization Test

[02/08/17]   Once an interview has been scheduled with United States Customs and Immigration Services you will be given a test as follows at the local field office.

[01/30/17]   Naturalization Process

In general, the naturalization process includes the following steps:

Determine if you are already a U.S. citizen.

Determine your eligibility to become a U.S. citizen.

Prepare Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.

Submit Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.

Go to the biometrics (fingerprinting) appointment, if applicable.

Complete the interview.

Receive a decision from USCIS on your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.

Receive a notice to take the Oath of Allegiance.

Take the Oath of Allegiance to the United States.

Understand your rights and responsibilities as a U.S. citizen.

[01/30/17]   Once you meet the eligibility requirements, you would go through the process of applying with the United States Customs and Immigration agency as follows.

[01/18/17]   Naturalization Eligibility Requirements

Before an individual applies for naturalization, he or she must meet a few requirements. Depending on the individual’s situation, there are different requirements that may apply. General requirements for naturalization are below.

Be at least 18 years old at the time of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.

Be a permanent resident (have a “Green Card”) for at least 5 years.

Show that you have lived for at least 3 months in the state or USCIS district where you apply.

Demonstrate continuous residence in the United States for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing Form N-400.

Show that you have been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing Form N-400.

Be able to read, write, and speak basic English.

Have a basic understanding of U.S. history and government (civics).

Be a person of good moral character.

Demonstrate an attachment to the principles and ideals of the U.S. Constitution.

[12/21/16]   Immigrants are at risk of being deported if they are convicted of either what is called a "crime of moral turpitude" or an "aggravated felony.” In addition, certain crimes are specifically listed as being grounds for deportation. So, to avoid this from happening one should seriously consider becoming a Citizen-especially if one has built strong family and economic ties in the U.S. Call an Immigration lawyer and apply for Citizenship or Naturalization before it is too late.

[12/21/16]   The most important benefit of becoming a U.S. citizen is without doubt to protect yourself from being deported or removed from the United States even if you are a lawful permanent resident.

[12/21/16]   If you are a lawful permanent resident or "green card holder", there are important benefits in becoming a U.S. citizen by applying for Naturalization. The ability to vote and being eligible for Federal government jobs are among some important benefits.

[10/13/16]   Waiver of the Exchange Visitor Two-Year Home-Country Physical Presence Requirement

Certain exchange visitors (J-1) are subject to a two-year home-country physical presence requirement which requires you to return to your home country for at least two years at the end of your exchange visitor program. This is also known as the foreign residence requirement under U.S. law, Immigration and Nationality Act, Section 212(e). If you are unable to return to your home country to fulfill the two-year requirement, you must obtain a waiver approved by the Department of Homeland Security prior to changing status in the United States or being issued a visa in certain categories for travel to the United States.

[09/19/16]   About the J-2 Visa
What is the J-2 Visa?
The J-2 Visa is a non-immigrant visa issued by a consular official at a U.S. embassy or consulate for spouses and dependents (unmarried children under the age of 21) of J-1 exchange visitors who accompany or later join the J-1 holder in the United States.

Who is eligible?
Eligibility for a J-2 Visa depends on the specific exchange program being offered to the J-1 non-immigrant by a sponsor organizations. The exchange categories of au pair, camp counselor, secondary school student and summer work travel do not permit J-2 Visas. In addition, although some categories allow for spouses and/or dependents to accompany a J-1 Visa holder, there are specific programs that do not.

How can I apply?
The application procedure is the same as that for a primary visa applicant. The sponsor must approve the accompaniment of the spouse and/or children who will each be issued their own Form DS-2019.

[08/30/16]   I will be writing more about this visa in the coming days and weeks.

[08/30/16]   The J-1 visa provides a lot of opportunities for international applicants looking to travel and gain experience in the United States. The programs under this visa enable foreign nationals to teach, study, conduct research, demonstrate special skills or receive on the job training for periods ranging from a few weeks to several years.

[04/14/16]   For immigration purposes, so long as the marriage was entered into in good faith and was bona fide at that time, an I-751 Petition to Remove conditions on Residence can be filed . A fraudulent marriage per INA Section 216 (b) would occur if it was entered into for the purpose of procuring an aliens's admission as an immigrant.



PO Box 710544
Herndon, VA

Opening Hours

Monday 10:00 - 18:00
Tuesday 10:00 - 18:00
Wednesday 10:00 - 18:00
Thursday 10:00 - 18:00
Friday 10:00 - 18:00
Saturday 10:00 - 18:00
Sunday 10:00 - 18:00
Other Lawyers & Law Firms in Herndon (show all)
Margaret A. O'Reilly, PC Margaret A. O'Reilly, PC
441 Carlisle Dr, Ste A
Herndon, 20170

A community-based practice dedicated to providing estate planning services to clients of all ages and specialized elder law services to seniors and their families.

Welter Welter
1141 Elden St Ste 218
Herndon, 20170

Welter is a national employment law and litigation firm with offices in Virginia, Texas and California.

Abrams Landau's Giving Page Abrams Landau's Giving Page
797 Center St
Herndon, 20170

This page covers charitable efforts of Doug Landau and his team at Abrams Landau, Ltd. Local events, fundraisers, celebrations, etc. are featured.

Welter Law Firm, P.C. Welter Law Firm, P.C.
1141 Elden St Ste 220
Herndon, 20170

Abogado y Notario para El Salvador - Herdon Abogado y Notario para El Salvador - Herdon
731 Elden St
Herndon, 20170

Prestamos servicios legales que unicamente surten efectos en El Salvador (Notaría, diligencias y casos judiciales).

The Pettrey Law Office, PLC The Pettrey Law Office, PLC
12801 Worldgate Dr, Ste 500
Herndon, 20170

The Pettrey Law Office, PLC is a Virginia law firm concentrating on criminal/traffic defense, domestic relations, and civil litigation cases.

Abrams Landau, Ltd. Abrams Landau, Ltd.
797 Center Street
Herndon, 20170

Abrams Landau, Ltd. helps injured clients get the benefits they deserve in workers' comp, 3rd party negligence, personal injury, and disability cases.

1110 Elden St, Ste 107
Herndon, 20170