Professional Bookkeepers of LI

Professional Bookkeepers of LI


Filing Extensions and Minimizing Penalties – Did You Know?

Taxpayers who request an automatic extension to file their 2021 federal income tax returns may file anytime up until October 17th, 2022. Remember, however, that an IRS extension is only an extension to file tax returns, NOT an extension to pay any tax owed. Taxes not paid by the April 18th payment deadline may be subject to late penalties and interest charges.

Electronic payments may be made using the IRS online payment portal (link below). The IRS urges those who cannot pay what they owe at this time to pay whatever amount they can, and then apply for an installment plan to pay off the remaining balance.

You should still file your taxes, even if you can't pay, as the failure-to-file penalty may be 10 times more than the failure-to-pay penalty.

IRS Online Payment Portal:
Multiple IRS Deadlines Fall on April 18th – Important Reminders

2021 INDIVIDUAL FEDERAL TAX RETURN FILING: U.S. resident individual and joint tax filers, along with U.S. citizens must file 2021 Form 1040 or 1040-SR and pay any tax due. If you cannot file your return by the deadline, request an automatic filing extension to October 17th. However, if you expect to owe tax, estimate the amount and pay it by April 18th to avoid late payment penalties.

FIRST 2022 QUARTERLY ESTIMATED TAX PAYMENTS: If you earn income and either do not pay federal taxes through paycheck withholding or do not expect your withholding to cover your 2022 tax obligations, you may need to make quarterly estimated tax payments. In particular, this requirement applies to many self-employed taxpayers and “gig economy” workers. The first quarterly estimated payments for 2022 are due on April 18th, 2022.

DEADLINE FOR 2021 IRA AND HSA CONTRIBUTIONS: You may be able to treat contributions made by April 18th to your IRA or health savings account (HSA) as 2021 contributions, provided you have not reached your 2021 contribution limit.

2021 FEDERAL TAX AND 2022 ESTIMATED TAX DEADLINES FOR CORPORATIONS: Corporations must file their 2021 federal income tax returns and pay any tax due, and also make their first 2022 estimated income tax payments, by April 18th.

The IRS urges taxpayers who cannot pay the tax they owe to file by the April 18th deadline and pay what they can. By making a payment in any amount now and setting up a payment plan, you may be able to reduce penalties and interest charges.
Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts Reporting – Did You Know?

Taxpayers with foreign accounts, such as bank accounts or mutual funds, generally must disclose this information on their tax returns. In most cases, U.S. individuals, trusts, estates and businesses with foreign accounts that totaled over $10,000 any time in 2021 must also file a foreign bank accounts report, or FBAR by April 15, 2022.

The official name of the FBAR form is FinCEN Form 114, Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts. FinCEN stands for the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, a separate agency from the IRS. You must submit the FBAR directly to FinCEN – you cannot file it with your tax return. The standard FBAR filing deadline is April 15, although filers typically qualify for an automatic extension to October 15.
Tax Refund Myths – Did You Know?

There can be uncertainty around the timeline for receiving IRS tax refunds. Here are a few common questions related to these myths, along with real-world answers.

Q: Can I get a more accurate refund date by calling the IRS or my tax return preparer?
A: No. The IRS Where's My Refund online portal (link below) and the IRS2Go app provide the most accurate information available on the timeline for your tax refund.

Q: Can I find out my refund date by ordering a tax transcript from the IRS?
A: This popular myth is false. Use the Where's My Refund portal or IRS2Go app to get an estimated date for your refund.

Q: The Where's My Refund Portal or IRS2Go app does not show a refund deposit or mailing date. Does this mean that the system is not working?
A: Generally, if these sources cannot provide a refund date, it just means that the IRS has not finished processing your return. While the IRS issues most refunds within 21 days for electronically filed returns, processing can take longer for a variety of reasons.

Q: What does it mean if Where's My Refund shows a different refund amount than I expected?
A: Most likely, the IRS had to make an adjustment to your return. You will receive an official IRS or U.S. Treasury letter explaining any change to your refund amount.

Q: If I get a 2021 tax refund, does that mean my withholding amounts are correct for 2022?
A: Not necessarily. Regardless of your refund amount, it is always good to check the IRS Withholding Estimator Tool (link below) periodically to make sure you are staying on track.

IRS Where's My Refund portal:
IRS Withholding Estimator tool:
Federal Tax Extensions - Did You Know?

If you file for an extension on your federal income tax return, you have until Oct 15th, 2022 to file your taxes but you still have to pay any taxes due by April 18th, 2022. Bear in mind that this extension applies only to FILING your return; the payment due date will remain as April 18th. Failing to pay the full amount you owe by April 18th may result in late fees, interest or other penalties.

If you are a US citizen or green card holder living overseas, or active military on duty outside the United States on the regular due date of the return, you may be able to get an automatic two month extension to file your return and pay any taxes due.
Unclaimed 2018 IRS Refunds Deadline – Did You Know?

The IRS has issued a reminder that time is running out to claim your 2018 tax refund if you did not file a 2018 federal return. The deadline to file a 2018 IRS return and claim your refund is April 18, 2022. Filing a missed 2018 return may also qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) if you meet the requirements.

By law, there is a limited three year window to claim a refund. After that date, unclaimed 2018 federal tax refunds will become the property of the U.S. Treasury.
Reporting Cryptocurrency Transactions - Did You Know?

If you had any involvement with cryptocurrency or other virtual currencies in 2021, you generally must disclose this activity on your tax return. Form 1040 includes the question, “At any time during 2021, did you receive, sell, exchange, or otherwise dispose of any financial interest in any virtual currency?”

Among other situations, you must check the “YES” box for the virtual currency question if any of the following occurred in 2021:

- You received cryptocurrency as payment for property, goods or services.
- You used cryptocurrency to pay for property, goods or services.
- You received cryptocurrency for mining or staking activities, or as the result of a “hard fork.”
- You purchased cryptocurrency through a trading platform or from another individual.
- You sold cryptocurrency for cash or exchanged it for another real or virtual currency.
- You gave away or received cryptocurrency in a transaction that did not qualify as a bona fide gift.

Because the IRS designates cryptocurrency as property, any cryptocurrency transaction could have tax impacts. If you received cryptocurrency as income, it should be reported just like you would if you had gotten the payment in cash. Other cryptocurrency transactions may involve a taxable capital gain. Capital gains must be reported separately from ordinary income, and may be taxed at different rates.

The U.S. Treasury has significantly stepped up enforcement of cryptocurrency tax rules since 2020, so the IRS urges all taxpayers to fully disclose their transactions. A tax professional can help you properly report your cryptocurrency activities, and figure any resulting income or capital gains tax.
2021 IRA Contributions Deadline

If you choose to contribute money to your IRA by April 18, 2022, you may designate the contribution for the tax year 2021. Americans of any age may make 2021 IRA contributions, up to $6,000 if they are under 50, or up to $7,000 if they are 50 or older.

Many taxpayers may deduct contributions to a traditional IRA. However, if you or your spouse is covered by a workplace retirement plan, your contributions may be only partially deductible or non-deductible, depending on your income. Roth IRA contributions are not deductible, but taxpayers can receive qualified distributions from their Roth IRAs tax free.

Taxpayers who contribute to IRAs or ABLE (Achieving a Better Life Experience) accounts may also qualify for the Saver's Tax Credit. The credit amount depends on a taxpayer's income and filing status. Because credits lower tax on a dollar-for-dollar basis, they may result in greater tax savings than deductions. Eligible taxpayers may claim both the traditional IRA contribution deduction and the Saver's Credit.

If you make an IRA contribution by the April 18th deadline and want to designate it for 2021, you must inform the financial institution of this choice. A tax professional can help you properly document and report your retirement plan contributions, to ensure that you get all the tax benefits you deserve.
Interest Received on 2021 Tax Refunds

During 2021, the IRS paid interest to many Americans who had to wait longer than usual for their 2020 federal tax refunds. Unlike the refunds themselves, most IRS interest payments are taxable income. However, many people may not know that they received an interest payment, since the IRS often included the interest with a taxpayer's refund or applied it to tax owed.

If you received a federal tax refund during 2021, you may get Form 1099-INT in the mail from the IRS, showing any taxable interest paid to you. (You will not get this form if the IRS did not pay you any interest.) Store the form with your tax records, so you can accurately report the interest on your 2021 tax return. You can also access records of IRS payments to you by creating an online account through the IRS website.

A tax professional can help you determine whether any payments you received from the IRS are taxable, and how to properly report all of your interest income. Electronically filing an accurate return is the best way to ensure that you receive your 2021 tax refund as quickly as possible.

Contact information, map and directions, contact form, opening hours, services, ratings, photos, videos and announcements from Professional Bookkeepers of LI, Accountant, 286 N Main Street, Freeport, NY.


Opening Date for 2023 Tax Filing Season

The IRS will begin accepting 2022 tax returns for processing on January 23, 2023. Taxpayers may file their returns before that date, but may need to wait until January 23 or later to get confirmation that the return was accepted. The filing deadline for 2022 returns is April 18, 2023.

If you have a federal tax refund coming, you can track it by using the Where's My Refund tool (link below) once the IRS has accepted your return.

To avoid processing delays, make sure that your return is complete and free from errors. A tax professional can help you file an accurate return electronically and set up direct deposit, so that your refund comes as quickly as possible.

IRS Where's My Refund? Tool:


Quarterly Estimated Tax Payments - Reminder

If you are making quarterly estimated tax payments to the IRS, the due date for the September 1st - December 31st, 2022 quarter of year is January 17th, 2023.

For payments made using IRS Direct Pay, you can make payments until 11:45PM EST, and for payments using a credit or debit card, payments can be made up to midnight on the due date.


IRS Delays Implementation of New Form 1099-K Rules – Did You Know?

The American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) of 2021 changed the IRS reporting rules for payments sent through third-party payment processors like PayPal and CashApp. The new rules require payment processors to send a Form 1099-K to all recipients of $600 or more in payments for goods or services during a year. These rules were to take effect beginning with tax year 2022.

However, the IRS has now announced that 2022 will be treated as a “transition year” for the ARPA provisions regarding 1099-K forms. As a result, payment processors may choose to follow the previous rules, which stated that a Form 1099-K must only be sent if a business or individual received over $20,000 in payments through more than 200 transactions. The new $600 threshold will take full effect in tax year 2023.

Therefore, if you received between $600 and $20,000 for goods or services through a payment processor in 2022, with 200 or fewer transactions, you may or may not receive a Form 1099-K. Note that this transition policy applies only to the sending of 1099-K forms. You must still report all taxable income you receive through a third-party processing platform to the IRS, regardless of whether you receive a tax form showing the income. A tax professional can help you determine which payments you received may be taxable.


Standard Mileage Rates for 2023 – Did You Know?

The IRS has updated the 2023 standard mileage rates for vehicle uses that qualify for a tax deduction. These rates apply for most passenger vehicles, including cars, vans, SUVs and pickup trucks.

- 65.5 cents per mile for business use of a vehicle (up 3 cents from midyear 2022)
- 22 cents per mile for certain medical purposes or moving purposes for qualified active-duty Armed Forces members (same as midyear 2022)
- 14 cents per mile for vehicle use for qualifying charitable work (unchanged)

In most cases, taxpayers who qualify to claim a vehicle expense deduction may either use the standard mileage rate or actual expenses to figure their deduction. However, if you use your car or truck for business, you generally must use the standard rate for the first year you put the vehicle in service if you want to preserve this option for future years.

A tax professional can help you determine whether the standard mileage rate or actual expenses will result in a larger deduction in your circumstances. Keep in mind that if you choose to deduct actual expenses, you will need to keep detailed records of all vehicle-related costs.


'Tis the Season for Important Tax Paperwork

Keeping your records organized will help make sure you don't miss out on valuable deductions when it is time to file. Many taxpayers will receive year-end income statements from employers, banks, stock issuers and other sources in January and early February.

The most common documents include:

- W-2 forms from your employers, showing your wages and any taxes withheld
- Forms 1099-INT and 1099-DIV showing your interest and dividend income
- Forms 1099-MISC and 1099-NEC showing gig economy and other self-employment earnings, along with rents, royalties and other miscellaneous income
- Form 1099-K from payment processing services like PayPal and CashApp if you received $600 or more in payments through one of these platforms for goods or services
- Records of virtual currency (including crypto) transactions
- Charity donation receipts
- Health Insurance statements (like Form 1095)
- Proof of qualifying educational expenses (like Form 1098-T)
- Mortgage interest statements


December 31 IRA Deadline – Did You Know?

Many taxpayers with IRAs must take a withdrawal from their accounts each year, called a required minimum distribution (RMD). In general, taxpayers who will be 72 years of age or older by the end of this year must take a 2022 RMD from their traditional, SIMPLE or SEP IRA. Holders of Roth IRAs typically do not need to take RMDs.

The deadline for most 2022 RMDs is December 31. However, a different deadline applies if you turned 72 in 2022, and will be taking your first RMD. In this case, you may take your first RMD at any time until April 1, 2023, as long as you then take your second RMD by December 31, 2023. RMDs are generally taxable in the year when you receive the money.

Failure to take an RMD by the deadline, or withdrawing an insufficient amount, may result in a 50% tax penalty on the amount that was not withdrawn as required.

Many workplace retirement plans, such as 401(k) plans, have similar RMD rules. Taxpayers who inherited any type of IRA (including Roth) may also have to take RMDs. Your IRA trustee or administrator can help you determine whether you must take a 2022 RMD and if so, the correct amount. A tax professional can help you properly report the RMD and figure any tax due on it.


Spike in Tax-related Gift Card Scams – Did You Know?

The holiday season can bring a lot of joy, but unfortunately, it also brings a new wave of scammers trying to cheat people out of their hard-earned money. Many scammers impersonate the IRS or other government agencies and demand payment in gift cards.

In one common version of the scam, a caller posing as an IRS agent threatens a person with tax and/or criminal penalties if the person does not immediately pay off a fictitious tax debt. The scammer may also send threatening text, email or voice messages with a callback number. Ultimately, the scammer demands that the person make payment by purchasing gift cards and sharing the card numbers and PINs.

If you get a call or message from anyone demanding payment in gift cards, hang up or do not reply. The IRS will never call a taxpayer to demand payment in gift cards, prepaid debit cards or wire transfers. If you have legitimate concerns about your tax situation, including back taxes you may owe, a tax professional can help you handle the problem in a safe, secure way. To help protect others, you can report possible tax scams to [email protected].


Giving Tuesday and Charitable Donations - Did You Know?

Millions of Americans will contribute to their favorite charities on Giving Tuesday (November 29), and throughout the holiday season. Charitable donations are often described as tax-deductible, but whether you can claim a deduction for your contribution depends on several factors.

First, you generally must itemize deductions on your tax return to claim a deduction for charitable donations. Therefore, your donation will not be deductible if you use the standard deduction. Note that the special rules that allowed taxpayers who did not itemize to deduct certain monetary donations in 2020 and 2021 have now expired. A tax professional can help you determine whether itemizing deductions would be advantageous for you.

If you do itemize deductions, you may generally deduct donations of money or property to any eligible tax-exempt charity. If you are unsure whether an organization qualifies to receive tax-deductible donations, the IRS Tax-Exempt Organization Search tool (link below) can help.

Tax-Exempt Organization Search:


Potentially Taxable Events – Did You Know?

In addition to traditional income sources like employee wages and business profits, there are a number of other activities and transactions that the IRS classifies as potentially taxable. It is important to consider all of these “taxable events” for your tax return.

The most commonly overlooked taxable events include:

- Investment income, including receiving stock dividends or cashing in bonds
- Converting a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA
- Forgiveness (discharge) of a loan or other debt, including student loans
- Sale of assets such as vehicles, musical instruments, or a home at a gain (that is, for more than you paid to purchase the assets)
- Sale or exchange of cryptocurrency (like Bitcoin), or making purchases with cryptocurrency
- Withdrawing funds from a retirement plan (or from the cash value of a life insurance policy if you withdraw more than you have paid in premiums)
- Gifts and inheritances

A tax professional can advise you about which events in your life may have tax implications, and how to properly report those events. For example, in some cases, you may only need to declare the event to the IRS if the amount of money involved exceeds a minimum threshold, known as an “exclusion.”


Charitable Contributions Can Reduce Tax on IRA Distributions – Did You Know?

In general, distributions from a traditional IRA are taxable income. However, if you have a traditional IRA and are age 70 1/2 or older, you may have the option of making tax-free charitable contributions through your IRA. A qualified charitable distribution (QCD) is a contribution made directly to an eligible charity from IRA funds. The account trustee, such as a bank or investment broker, must arrange and execute the contribution.

A QCD counts toward your annual required minimum distribution (RMD). Therefore, if you do not need funds from your traditional IRA this year, making a QCD may enable you to satisfy RMD rules without owing tax on the distribution. You must report QCDs on your tax return on the line for IRA distributions, but you may usually report the taxable portion of a QCD as zero.

Limitations on the nontaxable amount of a QCD may exist, depending on factors like your recent IRA contribution amounts. A tax professional can help you verify your eligibility to make a tax-free QCD, and properly arrange and report the transaction to comply with all IRS rules.


Charitable Donations - Did You Know?

If you are thinking of making charitable donations by year-end, the IRS has a tool to make it easier to get information about charitable organizations. The Tax Exempt Organization Search website offers additional information as well as a mobile-friendly interface.

Search tool: h


2023 Healthcare Open Enrollment - Did You Know?

The 2023 open enrollment period for Marketplace health insurance starts today, November 1, 2022, and ends December 15, 2022. Plans will start January 1, 2023.

Once the Open Enrollment period is over, you will only be able to enroll if there's a qualifying life event for the Special Enrollment Period.

Enrollment can be done at, and a simple checklist of documents you'll need can be found here:


Tax Considerations for People Changing Marital Status – Did You Know? (2/2)

A person is considered married for tax purposes if they are married on the last day of the year. Therefore, the IRS urges all taxpayers whose marital status changes during 2022 to consider several possible impacts on their taxes. In particular, for taxpayers who get married this year, or become divorced or legally separated, these issues may come into play:

UPDATING YOUR WITHHOLDING: Generally, if your marital status changes, you will need to file a new Form W-4 with your employer(s) so that your paycheck withholding may be adjusted accordingly. If you also have self-employment income or work multiple jobs, you may wish to use the IRS Withholding Estimator tool (link below) to check your withholding amounts. If you pay estimated taxes, you may need to adjust your payments based on your new marital status.

CHANGING FILING STATUS: If you are married as of December 31, 2022, you may select either Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately status on your 2022 federal tax return. For many couples, joint filing may result in lower tax, but exceptions exist. If you are divorced or legally separated as of December 31, you may file under Single or, if you qualify, Head of Household status. Head of Household filers receive a larger standard deduction and other tax benefits.

A tax professional can help you sort out any tax issues related to your change in marital status, including choosing the most advantageous filing designation.

IRS Withholding Estimator:


New Wave of Tax-related Text Scams – Did You Know?

The IRS recently issued a warning about a dramatic increase in the number of tax-related texting scams (also called “smishing”) occurring across the U.S. The scammers typically send a text message that appears to be from the IRS, which might include fake instructions to create an online IRS account, threats of tax penalties, or promises of tax or disaster relief. The message then urges recipients to click a link or call a phone number, where criminals stand ready to steal sensitive personal information like Social Security or bank account numbers.

If you receive a suspicious text claiming to be from the IRS, do not respond or click any links. The IRS does not send text messages requesting personal, tax or financial information. You can also help stop the scammers by reporting any smishing messages to [email protected]. Include a copy of the bogus message, the number that it came from, and the date, time and location you received it.


6-Month Filing & FBAR Extensions Deadline

For taxpayers who have extensions to file their 2021 returns, the filing due date for those returns is Monday, October 17, 2022.

The October 17 deadline to file under an extension applies to several common returns, including:


Most individual taxpayers who requested an extension to file their 2021 federal tax returns must file by October 17. However, additional extensions may be available to some taxpayers affected by recent disasters.


The October 17 deadline also applies to C corporations that requested an extension to file their 2021 corporate income tax returns (Form 1120).


Many U.S. taxpayers, including individuals and businesses, must file an annual report of their foreign bank and other financial accounts, called an FBAR. Most taxpayers who are required to file a 2021 FBAR and have not yet done so must file by October 15.


Reasons to File a 2021 Federal Tax Return

Some taxpayers are not required to file federal tax returns, generally because their income falls below the filing threshold. However, choosing not to file a return may mean missing out on a tax refund. Therefore, the IRS urges all Americans who may qualify for a tax refund to file a 2021 return by the extension filing deadline of October 17, 2022 or earlier if possible.

Even if you had no tax withheld from your pay in 2021 and made no estimated tax payments, you may still be entitled to a refund if you qualify for certain federal tax credits, including:

Recovery Rebate Credit: If you were eligible for a third economic impact payment (EIP, also called a stimulus payment) in 2021, but did not receive it or got less than the full amount, you may be able to claim this credit.
Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC): Working taxpayers who had $57,414 or less in 2021 income may qualify for this credit, depending on their filing status and number of dependents. For those with dependents, the credit amount can be as high as $6,728.

Both of these credits are fully refundable, meaning that if you qualify, you may receive the credit as an IRS refund even if you owe no tax for 2021.

Child Tax Credit (CTC): You may be eligible for this credit if you had a qualifying child of age 17 or younger in 2021.
American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC): You may qualify for this credit if you, your spouse, or your dependent was enrolled at least half time at an institution of higher learning (such as a college, university or trade school) in 2021.

The CTC is fully refundable, while the AOTC is partially refundable.

You may also be eligible for a federal tax refund if your employer(s) withheld taxes from your paychecks, or if you made estimated tax payments at any time in 2021.


Deductions and Credits for Homeowners and New Home Buyers – Did You Know? (2/2)

Home ownership can provide a number of tax benefits. To make the most of these tax-saving opportunities, homeowners should familiarize themselves with the IRS rules on which expenses can and cannot be deducted.

In addition to home mortgage interest and mortgage insurance premiums, homeowners may generally deduct state and local property taxes. However, property tax deductions are subject to the general $10,000 deduction limit for state and local taxes. Also, in order to deduct property taxes, you must itemize deductions on your return, rather than taking the standard deduction.

Non-deductible home ownership expenses include utilities, repairs, insurance (other than mortgage insurance), most closing costs, depreciation, homeowners' association fees, and payments on the principal of a mortgage loan. A tax professional can help you determine which of your expenses you may deduct, and how to figure the deduction amounts.


Deductions and Credits for Homeowners and New Home Buyers – Did You Know? (1/2)

Home ownership can provide a number of tax benefits. For example, you may generally claim a tax deduction for mortgage interest for your main home, along with eligible mortgage insurance premiums, up to the current IRS limit. However, you may only claim these benefits if you itemize deductions, rather than taking the standard deduction for your filing status. The home mortgage interest deduction may be particularly valuable for new homeowners, since payments during the early years of a mortgage can consist primarily of interest charges.

If you receive a Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC) from your state or local government, you may also qualify for the Mortgage Interest Credit. This credit can reduce your tax on a dollar-for-dollar basis, and you do not need to itemize deductions in order to claim it. A tax professional can help you determine whether you qualify for mortgage-related tax benefits, and if so, help you figure any deduction and/or credit amounts.

Timeline photos 09/06/2022

Quarterly Estimated Tax Payments - Reminder

If you are making quarterly estimated tax payments to the IRS, the due date for the June 1st - August 31st, 2021 quarter of year is Thursday, September 15th, 2022.

For payments made using IRS Direct Pay, you can make payments until 8PM EST, and for payments using a credit or debit card, payments can be made up to midnight on the due date.

Timeline photos 08/29/2022

Educator Expense Deduction for 2022 – Did You Know?

For tax year 2022, the maximum deduction amount has increased for the first time, to $300. Joint return filers who are both educators may deduct up to $300 per spouse.

You may qualify for this deduction if you work as a teacher, counselor, principal or aide for grades K-12 in a public or private school. You generally must work at the school for at least 900 hours during the school year.

Eligible classroom expenses include:
- Books, supplies and materials that you purchase for classroom use
- Classroom equipment, including computers, peripherals and software
- Items such as hand sanitizer and masks purchased to prevent the spread of COVID-19

Tuition and fees for professional development courses may also qualify for the Educator Expense Deduction. However, you may get a larger tax benefit by claiming the Lifelong Learning Credit or a different deduction for these costs. A tax professional can help you find the most advantageous way to report all your qualified expenses.

Timeline photos 08/23/2022

Newlyweds Have Special Tax Considerations – Did You Know?

If you get married in 2022, you may need to update your tax planning and report new information to the IRS and Social Security Administration (SSA). In particular, newly married couples should:

- Report any name changes to the SSA and get a new Social Security Card (link below)
- Report any address changes to the IRS and the U.S. Postal Service
- Recheck their paycheck withholding and/or estimated tax payment amounts. Marriage can affect your tax rate, as well as your deductions and credits. You can use the IRS Withholding Calculator (link below) to make sure you are staying on track.

One of the biggest tax decisions you will need to make as a newly married couple is whether to file separate returns or file jointly. A tax professional can help you determine which status is most advantageous for you.

Social Security Administration:
IRS Withholding Estimator:

Timeline photos 08/17/2022

Crowdfunding and Taxes – Did You Know?

Crowdfunding has become one of the most popular ways to raise money for charities, businesses, and people enduring hardships. Depending on a variety of circumstances, money raised through a crowdfunding campaign may be either taxable or non-taxable.

In many cases, if people donate to a crowdfunding campaign and receive nothing in return, the IRS treats the donations as gifts. Therefore, the person who receives the funds may exclude them from their gross income for tax purposes. Also, if you organize a crowdfunding campaign for someone else's benefit, you may exclude the funds raised from your own income, as long as you do not keep any of the money for yourself.

However, there are situations where funds received through crowdfunding are taxable, such as when an employer contributes to a campaign for an employee. Taxpayers generally must also report income received via crowdfunding if contributors get goods or services in exchange for their donations.

If the funds raised exceed $600 or contributors receive goods or services, you may get a Form 1099-K from the crowdfunding website. Receiving this form does not automatically mean that you have to report or pay tax on the money raised. A tax professional can help you determine whether you must report income from crowdfunding, whether the income is taxable, and how to properly handle Form 1099-K and any other tax documents you receive.

Timeline photos 08/08/2022

Recognizing Scams: The IRS Does NOT Contact Taxpayers in These Ways

Scammers often claim to represent the IRS in order to steal Americans' identities or money. You can better protect yourself by learning how to distinguish legitimate IRS communications from fraudulent messages or calls. As a starting point, it is important to know that there are some types of messages that the IRS never sends.

With the exception of verification codes for secure online account login, the IRS does not contact people or businesses about tax issues via text or SMS messages. The IRS also does not send messages to taxpayers through social media platforms or chat services.

While the IRS may communicate with a taxpayer via email, the messages will not ask the taxpayer to provide personal or financial information by replying or clicking on a link. All official IRS emails will originate from an address ending in If you are not 100% certain that an email claiming to be from the IRS is legitimate, do not reply and do not click any links in the message. Instead, delete the message and call the IRS directly for more information.

Timeline photos 08/01/2022

Summer Income Tax Reminder - Did You Know? (2/2)

Americans of all ages with summer income from self-employment may need to pay estimated tax on a quarterly basis in order to avoid IRS penalties. Alternatively, if you have self-employment earnings but also work as an employee, the IRS Withholding Estimator tool (link below) can help you determine the correct withholding amount to cover your income and self-employment tax responsibilities.

You may also qualify to reduce your tax by deducting business expenses. A tax professional can help you comply with record keeping requirements, and fully prepare for any tax implications of your summer endeavors.

IRS Withholding Estimator:

Timeline photos 07/27/2022

Summer Income Tax Reminder - Did You Know? (1/2)

Students and other young people who earn summer income, including gig economy and other self-employment income, should prepare now for potential federal tax obligations.

In particular, minors and young adults with self-employment earnings (including gig economy income) of at least $400 must file a federal tax return and may owe self-employment tax in addition to federal income tax.

Timeline photos 07/18/2022

$600 1099-K Threshold FAQs (3/3)

Here is an answer to one of the most common questions about the new over $600 1099-K rule.

Why have I never gotten 1099-K forms from payment processors before?

Prior to tax year 2022, the IRS only required third-party payment processors to file Form 1099-K for individuals and businesses that received over $20,000 in gross payments in a year. As a result of the dramatic lowering of this threshold, many people who have never received a 1099-K form will get one for 2022.

Timeline photos 07/11/2022

$600 1099-K Threshold FAQs (2/3)

Here is an answer to another one of the most common questions about this new over $600 1099-K rule.

When will I receive a 1099-K form if my payments exceed the threshold?

Third-party payment processors must file 1099-K forms to report 2022 payments by January 31, 2023. Therefore, you should receive the form in late January or early February.

Timeline photos 07/05/2022

$600 1099-K Threshold FAQs (1/3)

Here is an answer to one of the most common questions about this new over $600 1099-K rule.

Do payments from friends and families (splitting a check, gifts, etc.) count toward the form 1099-K filing threshold?

No, only payments for goods and services count toward the $600 limit. If you receive a Form 1099-K from a payment processor that includes non-business payments like gifts or settling up with friends, contact the processor and ask for a corrected form before you file your tax return. To help prevent this issue, remind friends and family to check the “Sending money to friends and family” option when sending payments.

Timeline photos 06/28/2022

Lower $600 1099-K Filing Threshold for Payment Processors – Did You Know?

A new IRS rule may affect millions of taxpayers who receive payments through third-party processors like PayPal, Venmo, Zelle and Square. The rule applies to payments for goods and services, including payments for independent contract, freelance and gig economy work.

Beginning in 2022, the annual threshold for filing a 1099-K form is $600 in gross payments for goods and services, with no minimum number of transactions. Payment processors must submit the form to the IRS and provide a copy to the recipient of the payments.

In most cases, you must report payments shown on a Form 1099-K as income on your tax return. Note that the form shows gross payment amounts, which may include processing fees. You generally must report the gross amount on your return, but you may be able to deduct processing fees and other charges as business expenses. A tax professional can help you properly figure your gross income and any deductions you are entitled to claim.

Timeline photos 06/21/2022

IRS Enhances “Where's My Refund” Tool – Did You Know?

The IRS has added a new feature to the “Where's My Refund?” tool, available online (link below) and in the IRS2Go mobile app. Previously, you could only use the tool to check your refund status for your most recently filed return, and only if that return covered one of the last two tax years. However, the tool can now provide information on refunds from any of the last three tax years (2019, 2020 and 2021).

To use the tool, you will need your filing status, taxpayer ID number (SSN or ITIN) and expected refund amount for that tax year.

IRS Where's My Refund? Tool:

Timeline photos 06/13/2022

IRS Raises Standard Mileage Rate for Second Half of 2022 – Did You Know?

In recognition of the recent rise in gas prices, the IRS has announced an increase to the optional standard mileage rate for the second half of 2022. For January 1 through June 30 of this year, the rate is set at 58.5 cents per mile. The rate will then rise to 62.5 cents per mile for the period from July 1 through December 31.

Note that the standard rate of 14 cents per mile for eligible charitable activities will not change.

Timeline photos 06/06/2022

Quarterly Estimated Tax Payments & Overseas Filing Deadlines - Reminder

If you are making quarterly estimated tax payments to the IRS, the due date for the April 1 – May 31 quarter of the year is June 15th, 2022.

If you are a U.S Citizen or Green Card Holder living abroad or in active military service and have not filed your taxes yet, the deadline is also on June 15th.

For payments made using IRS Direct Pay, you can make payments until 8PM EST, and for payments using a credit or debit card, payments can be made up to midnight on the due date.

Timeline photos 05/31/2022

IRS Issues Answers to FAQ About 2021 Child Tax Credit (3/3)

Q: What happens if two different taxpayers claimed the CTC for the same qualifying child?

A: In some cases, a child meets all the IRS tests to be a qualifying child for multiple taxpayers. Generally, however, only one taxpayer may claim the child for the CTC. As a result, the IRS may reject a return because the taxpayer claimed the CTC for a child already listed on a return filed earlier by someone else. If this situation arises with your return, you will need to submit a paper return instead of filing electronically. You will then receive an IRS notice detailing next steps, so that IRS personnel can determine which taxpayer may actually claim the credit.

Want your business to be the top-listed Accountant in Freeport?
Click here to claim your Sponsored Listing.




286 N Main Street
Freeport, NY

Other Freeport accountants (show all)
The Tax Zone The Tax Zone
17 West Sunrise Highway
Freeport, 11520

ATAX - Sunrise Hwy. Freeport, NY ATAX - Sunrise Hwy. Freeport, NY
132 W Sunrise Highway
Freeport, 11520

ATAX is a leading provider of tax preparation, bookkeeping, payroll, and incorporation services for

H&R Block H&R Block
113 W Sunrise Highway
Freeport, 11520

Liberty Tax Liberty Tax
83 W Merrick Road
Freeport, 11520

Liberty Tax welcomes you to a brighter way to do taxes — call us today!