The Church of the Sacred Heart at 110 3rd Ave., NE., in Freeport, Minnesota, United States, was built in 1905. It was designed by architects Parkinson & Dockendorff.HistoryThe parish was founded by a German community and was originally part of a parish in New Munich. The community in Freeport asked the Diocese of St. Cloud for a priest to form their own parish, so Father Simplicius Wimmer arrived in the community. The first church was a wood frame structure built in 1882, measuring by, with a rectory added in 1890. The parish outgrew this building and built a new one in 1896, which was a brick-veneered building measuring by and seating 1000 people. The second building was completed at a cost of $30,000. The original wood building was donated to the parish of St. Rose and moved north.The 1896 building was struck by lightning and destroyed by fire in 1904. The parish immediately organized a rebuilding effort, and even the priest pitched in. The third building was even larger and more ornate than the second building, with a total construction cost of $115,000 by the time it was finished in 1915. It required 38 boxcar loads of brick for its construction.It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.The parish is now part of a cluster with Immaculate Conception in New Munich, Minnesota and St. Rose of Lima in St. Rosa, Minnesota.
Operating as usual
A Catholic community in central Minnesota that is rich in tradition and united in spirit with our tri-parish cluster and school. All information posted on this page is coming from the tri-parish office.