Custom embroidery, digitizing, and quilting.
Candy's Distinctive Decorations's cover photo
Why Won’t My Employees Wear My Clothes?
Several of my customers tell me they have employees who will not wear the shirts, hats, etc. made for the employee’s use. Why is this? Some people do not want to be a walking billboard, while others simply do not like the style, type or color of the garment itself.
As I thought about the best way to address this question, I realized there are many variables to be considered. I am going to focus on the garment in this installment. There will be more articles to follow covering the other variables.
When choosing a garment, some of the variables to consider are:
• Environment – Is the employee in your office or on a job site?
• Sex – Male or female? The ladies have been expressing a desire for better fitting garments for years. Most of my vendors carry sizes for ladies and men in the same style and color. There are women who simply do not like casual wear and prefer a sweater set or woven shirts. Women do not always want a unisex garment because it is too boxy and does not fit well.
• Temperature – Do your employees deal with excessive heat or cold? Moisture wicking or climate seal (wind/rain/snow/cold temperature) could make the employee more comfortable.
• Appearance – Does the garment wrinkle easily? Stain easily? Wrinkle or stain resistant materials could enhance their appearance.
• Color – Not everyone looks good is all colors – hues, brightness, or intensity. Neutrals would serve you better than stark colors. Neutrals can be worn by everyone. If you do not want to use solid colors, try a heathered look instead. Does the employee need to be in “safety” colors?
• Size – Garments come in many size ranges. Unfortunately, women’s sizes tend to stop at 2XL. Ladies needing larger sizes have to turn to men’s sizing which does not necessarily mean better fit.
If you are trying to select a uniform that your staff can wear, try choosing different silhouetts in the same color to satisfy all the variables.
Of course, there are many other types of garments to consider. I just wanted to give you a place to start. I realize that price is a large factor when choosing the “uniform” for your employees. Do not forget that you get what you pay for. Cheap garments fade and shrink faster than the more expensive ones. You must buy what you can afford.
I read several blogs, articles, and talked to my vendors to bring the best information I could find. This is a very high-level look at this topic.
Was the content useful? Please contact me at [email protected].
[11/17/15] I am trying an experiment. Would you post one or two words that describe my business?
This was a commissioned piece.
Candy's Distinctive Decorations
Some place mats to go with the wall hanging or table topper.
www.etsy.com The fabric is 100% cotton and is embellished with embroidered pine cones. The pine cones are accented with metallic thread.
I just posted my first item to Etsy!
www.etsy.com This is made with 100% cotton, crystals and button snowflakes were used to embellish the wall hanging. This can also be used as a tabe topper.
[04/01/12] I have purchased a heat press. I can now make custom transfers cheaper than screen printing & it's better for the environment.
Alber's Police Department is hosting their 2nd annual Jeep Fun Run. on Sept 21st 2019 Funds raised will benefit the Alber's Elementary School D.A.R.E. program.
Avalos Construction is here to help customers with their roofing needs....from a small repair to a full roof installation!!
Zee Best Limo and Bus Service.